Golfers Elbow Treatment & Exercises

Dr. Beau Pierce

Are you dealing with elbow pain after playing golf or tennis?

Golfer's elbow is a condition that causes pain where the tendons of your forearm muscles attach to the bony bump on the inside of your elbow. The pain might spread into your forearm and wrist.

Golfer's elbow is similar to tennis elbow, which occurs on the outside of the elbow. It's not limited to golfers. Tennis players and others who repeatedly use their wrists or clench their fingers also can develop golfer's elbow.

The pain of golfer's elbow doesn't have to keep you off the course or away from your favorite activities. Rest and appropriate treatment can get you back into the swing of things.

Back Pain? Get a Free Treatment Plan!
Pierce Chiropractic Elbow Pain

Video Transcribed (Please excuse grammatical errors)

What's up guys, Dr. Beau here and today we're talking golfers and pain on the in side part of your elbow. Hey, Dr. Beau. I have been playing more golf now than it is summertime, and I'm experiencing pain on the inside part of my elbow when I hit golf balls, what is it? What can I do about it? All right. So Steve, there are two basic kind of elbow pathologies of when it comes to playing golf or playing tennis. Now you may have heard of something called medial epicondylitis and a lateral epicondylitis. Now, basically, here's what it means when you are playing golf and you are swinging down. I'm gonna assume that you're a right hand golfer. If you're taking in you're swinging and hitting the ball and you're experiencing pain on the inside portion of the elbow that is called medial epicondylitis. I know it's a big word and big term, and here's basically what it means.

It means that the muscles in this portion of your arm have become tight because you're gripping a club or you're over gripping with your grip too much. And you're causing an inflammation where those muscles go and they attach down here to the bone. Now, a lot of the times we'll call this tendonitis or tend to gnosis is when it becomes more inflamed and it's chronic, but here's what you need to do about him. Now, first off is if you're playing a lot of golf, you got to make sure that you're stretching before you actually start hitting some balls. So a couple of ways to do it. The first way that I suggest you do it is literally to take your hand and kind of do the deal where you rub it back and forth. You probably remember something called an old Indian rub when you were a young kid where you kind of get in there and just really kind of irritate the fascia, irritate those surrounding muscles.

Matter of fact, take your knuckles and just start taking them through and rubbing up and down here on the inside portion of the arm, the lower arm here. Secondly, take stretch your hands. So put your hand out like this and stretch it. You want to stretch the muscles here. Also, I say you stretch it the opposite way and you want to stretch the muscles here. A lot of the times, what we see is that we see an imbalance from the top or outside portion muscles and the bottom or the inside portion muscles there as well. Second thing that you'll want to do is if you continue to play into continues to become aggravated, you want to wear a brace that goes around your elbow. Matter of fact, they have ones called tennis elbow braces, or golfer's elbow braces, or they just have elbow braces.

That's a different video for a different day. But the whole idea is that by wearing the brace, you change the fulcrum, meaning the muscles go in. They usually attached out here, but with a brace, it actually changes the fulcrum to wherever the braces at and allows this area to heal. Now, Steve, the third thing is, is that after you get done playing golf, you want to make sure you ice the area. Now you can use an ice. I prefer ice cut massage, where you take like Dixie cups, fill them with water, freeze them, and then just go right over the area for five to 10 minutes. In addition to that, you may choose to take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen. And then also, if you're not seeing a chiropractor, please let us know or go to your chiropractor because it's important that you look at the position of the bone down here is called your ulna, If it becomes to tight it will actually rotate out of position and you'll get clicking and popping that goes on in there.

And no matter what you do, the muscles that won't release from there. So Steve that is called golfer's elbow so quickly to recap, it's an inflammation of the muscles that attach down here to the bone. You have to stretch them. You have to work the fascia. We can do things like Kinesio tape. We can do something called Graston. We do another thing called muscle release therapy, where you take a short into a lengthened position. We as chiropractors adjust the ulna and the Radiohead on the other side, back into proper alignment. Also, if you have not had a season tune-up as far as a golf lesson, this is a great time to get back with your golf pro and have them check your swing, check your grip, make sure that your clubs are also fitted properly to you'd be amazed at how many people have the wrong grip sizes on their clubs, where they should be wearing a bigger, have a bigger grip. And they're actually gripping down too tight. And that can cause a little of inflammation there as well. All right, Steve, I hope that helps answer your questions about what is golfer's elbow, what to do about it and how so to get back on the course faster. All right guys, if you guys have questions, if you have golfers love or suspect, please let me know type down in the comments, the things that you've done to help alleviate it. And as always, I'm here for you guys have a great day. Bye now.

back to the blog